Once a bakery and residence of the 19th century, the Museum offers a history of the “Old Erie Canal” and brings to life local folklore and history. Located beside a remnant of the original Canal, the Museum is filled with authentic memorabilia, art, and other exhibits explaining Canastota’s contributions to the Canal, business, industry and agriculture.
Some Exhibit Highlights
· Outdoor National Park Service Wayside Exhibit
· Canal Engineering & Canastota’s Nathan Roberts
· Life Along the Canal
· Canastota’s Lift Bridge
· Birthplace of the American Microscope Industry
· Frederick R. Spencer, the 19th Century Portrait Artist
· Ideal Cut Glass (Canastota Cut Glass)
· Early Movie and Projection Film Industry
· The Italian American & Canastota’s Mucklands
· Watson Dump Wagon History
· History of Canastota’s Energy Sources
· Erie Canal and Canastota’s Industry & Commerce
· Amelia Earhart & Canastota’s Airport Opening of 1928
The Museum is located at:
Take Thruway Exit 34 or turn north at Routes 5 & 13.
122 Canal Street, Canastota, NY 13032
Phone: For call back information please call 315-697-5002 to leave a message at the Canal Town Education Center
Museum Hours: May & June 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
July & August 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
September & October 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Closed Sunday & Monday
Free to members and 12 yr. & younger
Group tours available by appointment